Sunday, July 10, 2011

Silly Girls ...

MR. BENNET:

"I live among six women like a stranger in my home.
I cannot flee the feminine so through my books I comb ...
in search of understanding about the female mind,
and research not withstanding, this is what I find:
SILLY GIRLS, they are all around me .... "

This song has withstood the test of time and was one of the original songs presented at the JASNA AGM in 2002 in Toronto. Its history is unique with the show because it was removed from the libretto and the show between 2007 and 2009 as the show transformed from operetta to musical theater. However, in 2010, Mr. Bennet once again found his voice when we re-inserted his song into the score for its performances in Chicago.

What we discovered is that his song has an important role beyond having Mr. Bennet sing. It grounds the show and its story and provides us with an understanding of the patriarchal society in the Regency Era ... and, we love it that he does it in such a funny way!

Audiences tell us this too ... so welcome back, Mr. Bennet. Welcome to a new arrangement for NYMF ... help our future audiences understand your world!

"... ball gowns swirling, lovers' hearts are stirring as my world is whirling with my SILLY GIRLS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment