Thursday, July 7, 2011

Creating the arrangements ... (originally written 7/1/11)

Until I began composing music (about fifteen years ago), I never considered the work of an arranger. Prior to composing, my focus had always been the piano, chamber music and accompanying classical musicians. So for me, arranging my own work was a natural process that grew out of my compositions, and an absolute necessity ...



During my graduate work, I studied the great accompaniments of the composers of Art Song ... DuParc, Faure, Schubert and Schumann ... so when I began writing musical theater with Lindsay, I just assumed that all composers arrange their own work. It wasn't until Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE entered the professional theater world that I learned that there are those who specifically "arrange" ... and that this is the "norm" for the industry.



Really great arrangers create a setting that expresses text in a way that aurally describes it. It's like they paint pictures for the ears to hear. This was always evident to me in the work of DuParc. The piano accompaniments are stunning. And, even though DuParc only wrote 17 songs his entire life, each song is amazing and the arrangements brilliant masterpieces. Two other amazing composer/arrangers I admire are Benjamin Britten and Gian Carlo Menotti. Their work is genius.



Today, in the field of American Musical Theater, there are some pretty incredible composers who arrange. Jonathan Tunick is my favorite right now because he seems to completely understand how to embrace song and provide it with elegant setting. His work reminds me of the way an interior decorator knows how to create the perfect room that reflects the person. I also admire Hummie Mann, who creates brilliant and amazing scores and arrangements.



During my time working on creating the score for PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, I visit the themes many times. Today I finished "#14 Dancing with Mr. Collins" and began an arrangement of Mr. Wickham's song "#11 My Dream". With NYMF, I am limited to four instruments. For the festival , I chose to paint my sounds with Piano, French Horn, Violin and Cello. With these four instruments I hope that I will be able to create lush sounds, full of drama, humor, and elegance that reflects the time period of Jane Austen. I look to the masters to inspire me ... they hold the bar high!

No comments:

Post a Comment